Tenure Track Assistant Professor Electrochemical Synthesis and Catalysis
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of electrochemical synthesis and catalysis. The candidate is expected to establish an independent, internationally recognized research group. Electrochemical synthesis, complemented with i.e. photo-redox catalysis, will be a major contributor to the development of novel sustainable chemical transformations (i.e. low waste, low energy). As affiliated to the ARC CBBC, the candidate will have ample opportunities to strengthen academic and industrial cooperation with other CBBC partners (from the University of Groningen, Utrecht University, Eindhoven University of Technology, Shell, AkzoNobel, Nouryon and BASF).
As an Assistant Professor you will:
• set up and develop your own research line and research group
• supervise PhD students
• acquire external funding
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programmes in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
• contribute to the organization of the faculty.
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in organic electrochemistry or a related field
• at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD, and a relevant international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals
• a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
• demonstrable organizational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
• willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
The University of Groningen is a research university, currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists. The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University, offering first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Stratingh Institute for Chemistry (https://www.rug.nl/research/stratingh/) and affiliated with the nationwide ARC CBBC programme (arc-cbbc.nl).
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time position as an Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science and in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,637 up to a maximum of € 5,656 gross per month (scale 11 or 12) for a full-time position
• holiday allowance and year-end bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your annual salary
• a pension scheme
• paid parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (90% or 80%)
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/(…)with-us/that-is-why/
As an Assistant Professor you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/(…)paths-in-science.pdf
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and names of references
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 19 April 11:59pm / before 20 April 2020, Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews in Groningen will take place in the second half of May or in June 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. A.J. Minnaard, email@example.com
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.